Empek Empek Indonesian Fish Cake Dumplings Recipe Empek empek – Savoury fish cake dumplings in spicy sauce.
To make the dumplings:
3 cups of fish mackerel. 1 ½ cups of water. 1 ½ tablespoons of fish oil. 2 teaspoons of salt. 4 tablespoons of fresh ginger root, minced. 1 teaspoons of sugar. 2 eggs, beaten. 2 ½ cups of tapioca flour. 3 cloves of garlic, minced. 2 tablespoons of chicken stock flavouring. 2 cups of vegetable oil, for frying.
For the sauce, (below to be mixed in a blender):
1 cup of raw prawns/shrimp, (shells peeled off, head and tails discarded). ½ cup of red chillies.
7 cloves of garlic, diced. ½ teaspoon of salt. 1 cup of brown sugar or ½ cup of palm sugar. 4 tablespoons of tamarind paste. 3 tablespoons of white vinegar. 2 cups of water.
1. First to make the broth, in a pot on high heat, put 1 ½ cups of water, on boiling point add the fish oil and chicken stock. Take off the heat, set aside to cool off.
2. In a blender, blend together the raw fish mackerel, eggs, tapioca flour, salt, sugar, ginger, garlic and ½ cup of the cooled broth previously made. Set aside this dough to wait for 20 minutes.
3. Then using a small amount of the dough, rolled out into a thick sheet using a rolling pin, cut into squares- the size of your palm, add one raw egg to each and fold the sheets over to wrap the egg (like a half moon shape), set aside. Then use the rest of the dough onto and shape it into a small log, cutting through it (thumb sizes), set aside.
4. In a separate pan, on high heat, put in the oil for frying. Once the pan is hot enough, put in the dumplings and shallow fry them until golden brown for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set dumplings aside to let the excess oil drain off it.
5. In a blender, to make the spicy sauce, blend together the prawns, chillies, garlic, salt, sugar, tamarind paste, vinegar and water.
6. Add this spicy sauce and the fried dumplings to the pot with the broth that was made previously and cook at medium heat for 10 minutes.
7. This dish is ready to be served into bowls.